logo_abbeville-passionTRANSPARENT.png

Search
 
Close
History
The Streets
Visits

 246369 visitors

 5 visitors online

Newsletter
To receive news about this website, consider subscribing to our Newsletter.
KmcW5
copy the code :
51 Subscribers

BANNIERE-Bibliotheque.png

123.png

logo_lien_abbeville.gif

logo_lien_Club_max_Lejeune.gif

    The first Carmelites arrived at Abbeville in 1636, coming from Amiens. Indeed, the Carmel of Amiens was founded on 14 May 1606 under the name of Teresa of Avila, marking a religious revival after a long period marked by the wars of religion.
The community is experiencing a boom and soon, the number of applicants is reached. It must therefore spread:

  • In 1625, six nuns set out on the community of Saint-Denis,
  • In 1636, 10 nuns arrived in Abbeville,
  • In 1641, six nuns went to Compiegne.

So it was that in 1636 the Order of the Carmelite of Jesus Maria was founded in Abbeville, in the Rue Saint-Gilles.

 During the revolutionary period, the Carmelites were forced to leave the Rue St. Gilles, but try to continue their religious life despite the prohibitions. The buildings of the convent are denatured. In part destroyed, they welcome such a prison, a court or a police station (site of the current court). The few remains have disappeared in the 1940 bombing.

Given the impossibility of regaining the old monastery, the religious should rent a house, then part of the former convent of the Carmelites of St. Peter's Square (current place Clemenceau, hence the street name of the Carmelites). It was only in 1818 that the opportunity to find a permanent place for living according to the rule appears: the former Capuchin monastery, the seventeenth century, left its occupants and assigned to an individual as well as national the Revolution is for sale.
It is in these buildings that they are acquiring the Carmelites settled from 1821. Heavy work be done: there is no chapel, buildings are not in good condition and the essential fence is almost nonexistent.

The nuns there remain until their departure from Abbeville in 1998. The City is doing so acquired the property Abbevillois thus offering the opportunity to experience this extraordinary heritage group, and the installation of the Heritage House. The beautiful cloister now used for exhibitions, conferences refectory.

jardins du Carmel.jpg


Creation date : 28/09/2016 22:29
Category : Heritage - Monuments
Page read 2395 times


Reactions to this article

Nobody gave a comment yet.
Be the first to do so!

Copyright
Images and texts are not royalty-free.

If you want to use one of the photos or texts on the site, do not hesitate to contact us and explain how you intend to use them.