logo_abbeville-passionTRANSPARENT.png

Search
 
Close
History
The Streets
Visits

 65301 visitors

 4 visitors online

Newsletter
To receive news about this website, consider subscribing to our Newsletter.
WW4Z9n
copy the code :
41 Subscribers

BANNIERE-Bibliotheque.png

123.png

manufacture.PNG

It all starts early in the reign of Louis XIV, when Colbert, finance minister promotes the establishment of foreign manufacturers to benefit from their expertise in fine linens manufacturing.


Thus arrives at Abbeville Josse Van Robais in 1665, recipient of a royal privilege. Originally from Middelburg, he moved with fifty Dutch workers, several sheets looms and fulling mills street in the first city hotel in the heart of the walled city. But the workshops are scattered here and there, sometimes extramural.

However, the factory is soon to become an industrial establishments the most successful of the kingdom in 1700, it has 1,500 permanent workers and 1,500 casual spinners.


In 1708, the son of Josse, Isaac, bought a huge lot outside the walls of the city of Hocquet floor and overlooking the port to group workshops. On this ground soon rises the manufacture of Rames whose name refers to the frame that held the taut moistened tissues.

aquarelle macqueron.JPG
 

A magnificent portal, sculpted by Baron Pfaffenhoffen, to enter the courtyard with buildings around the factory.

The factory gate:

portail.jpg



This monumental gate sis of hocquet floor is stone shear. Both leaves and its tympanum carved by Baron Pfaffenhoffen, is perhaps the oldest carved portals on Abbeville

On the tympanum, an allegorical figure representing the conquest of the golden fleece. There are three children. The right one is sitting on the neck of a sea horse and holds a Navy anchor. The middle oar making hand Neptune's trident The third brandished in his left hand a caduceus, then symbol of commerce. The allegory as a whole represents the attainment of the factory to maritime trade. Indeed, the production thereof was sought everywhere, including abroad and transiting by ship to England or Holland




The hotel des rames

Thus the so-called central main building.

The ground floor housed offices, the first floor accommodation owners. The second floor attic and was just under the roof structure.

Although it was completed in 1713, the building could not be occupied until 1715 because of a collapse due to inadequate foundations

The layout of the rooms was made so that the house could accommodate several families. In 1718, the building consisted of four distinct apartments and servants lived above the second.

The hotel was sold by Van Robais in 1809 to Jean-Antoine Vayson. He refused repeatedly the recovery of the hotel by the city who wanted to make a library and a museum. Besides this, she still recovered six statues now stored in the reserves of the Boucher de Perthes Museum for restoration and classified since 1985. Also three large statues of Diana, Apollo and Mercury were exhibited in the Garden 'Emonville today remains only Apollo, Mercury and Diana were removed to be restored.





The side buildings and the garden:

 

rames côté jardin.PNG
 

The side buildings served manufacturiers.Contre workshops at one of the two side buildings runs a small channel communicating with the Somme, which then surrounded a beautiful English garden.

The pigeon:

            pigeonnier avant restauration 1967.PNG                               13502757_1220138278009866_7192772825055685651_o.jpg

Under the mandate Max Lejeune, a subdivision is created between the factory and the Louandre street there is "Les Arcades".

Amid this development, annex to the old factory, a beautiful square dovecote, restored, once the heart of arcaded buildings (played by new), serving farmyard, stables, workshops, sheds and fodder wool, linen lehrs.

This court was separated from the western wing of the factory in a shed for drying sheets and behind this court on a large stood six rows oars, oars being the frame that held the taut fabrics to give them the desired width uniformly.

 

But Van Robais will soon have to fight against competition, compounded by the loss of exclusivity in manufacturing.

Lorsqu'éclate the Revolution, they are not directly concerned since "non-noble", but the collapse of the economy unfortunately forced liquidation in 1793.

After the acquisition in 1809 by Mr. VAYSON and other (Mr. Lemaire, Mr. RAUDOING), the trains stop working at the end of the nineteenth century. Bought and sold by the city, the hotel is now not visible to the public except by way of towing and along rental housing.


Creation date : 31/07/2016 22:40
Category : Heritage - Monuments
Page read 1338 times


Reactions to this article

Nobody gave a comment yet.
Be the first to do so!

Copyright
Images and texts are not royalty-free.

If you want to use one of the photos or texts on the site, do not hesitate to contact us and explain how you intend to use them.